Saturday 10 February 2007

Spiced apple muffins

I seemed to have hit the ground running but all good things come to an end... So it is with a somewhat red face that I admit that for the last couple of days I've barely cooked. On Thursday (the incredibly snowy day!) Toddler was really ill - I was called to pick him up from the childminder as he'd been so sick. I didn't think I could leave him alone while I cooked supper so he had toast and we made do. Yesterday I was shattered after both Toddler and Baby had been restless overnight so we had spaghetti with meatballs that I'd prepared on Thursday after they'd gone to bed. Not the most healthy or nutritious meal but comfort food is often the only way.

Today we had a rather quiet day - Baby had been up on and off last night with a horrible cough and so I thought I'd make some muffins this afternoon. Actually, I had meant to make a chocolate cake but didn't have enough butter! Food shop tomorrow though. These are divine - muffins are so easy so give them a whirl!

Ingredients:
250g plain flour
3 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 and a half tsp mixed spice
100g of golden granulated sugar
1 egg
5 fl oz/150 ml milk
170g finely chopped apple (peeled and cored)
85g butter, melted
80g raisins

Preheat oven to 200 degrees. Prepare muffin tins

In a large bowl sift together the flour, baking powder, salt and mixed spice. Stir in the sugar.
Beat the egg and add the milk followed by the apple and melted butter
Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and stir until just combined. Because the apple releases its juices whilst cooking it's quite a dry batter.
Spoon into tins and bake for 20-25 mins (I have a fan oven and baked at 190 for 18 mins).

The original recipe had a topping of 3 tbsp soft brown sugar and 2 oz of chopped walnuts that you sprinkle on top before baking. As Toddler is on a nut free diet, I didn't add this although he's point blank refused to taste them so far and at the rate I'm eating them he won't get a chance tomorrow!!!

Enjoy!

No comments: