Monday 5 February 2007

Blueberry muffins

OK, so not really a "meal" as such and not that healthy (well, the ones I made weren't though there are lots of ways you CAN make muffins healthy) but I was feeding the baby her daily dose of vitamin C I realised we had a glut of blueberries that were about to escape from the fridge. So I made some blueberry muffins. The way I see it, it helps bring Mr Shamu a wee bit closer to his 5 a day.....

I bought this book about 6 years ago when muffins were only just becoming popular over here. My mum is a great cook but she hates baking so all my baking skills are self taught. This book was a great introduction to baking as you really can't go wrong with muffins. There are so many great combinations, but this is a real classic.

280g plain flour
3 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
95g golden granulated sugar
1 egg
240ml milk
85g butter melted
140g blueberries

Preheat the oven to 200
Sift the flour, baking powder and salt together and stir in the sugar
Beat the egg then stir in the milk followed by the butter
Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and stir until combined. The batter will be lumpy but no dry flour should be visible.
Gently fold in the berries, taking care not to crush
Spoon into muffin cases. Bake for 20 mins for large muffins and 13-15 mins for mini muffins.

They were delicious and I'll be popping a couple into the toddler's lunchbox tomorrow - I wonder if he'll enjoy them.....

No comments: