Tuesday 6 February 2007

Last minute sausage casserole

I've had a busy day today and realised at 4pm whilst in town that I hadn't taken the salmon fillets out of the freezer. So I popped to good old Marks and Spencer "Simply Food" and the only non ready meal item I could find for inspiration were their sausages.....

Sausage casserole was a regular player in my mum's menu. She has so many different ways - red wine, white wine, mustardy, onion-y. So I took my inspiration from her (and from the contents of my fridge!) and created this casserole:

1 packet of good quality sausages
1 red onion, chopped
1 white onion, sliced
1 clove of garlic, chopped
1 large leek finely sliced
1 large stick of celery, chopped
70g cubetti pancetta
1 tbsp plain flour
white wine
stock (I use Marigold vegetable bouillon powder)

Turn the oven on to 170
Take a shallow, heavy bottomed casserole dish and heat a tbsp of olive oil. Add the sausages and brown. Remove from pan
Saute the onions and celery for 2-3 minutes then add the pancetta and garlic. Cook for a further 3 minutes then add the leek.
Stir in the flour, making sure it's evenly distributed through the dish.
Pour in a glass of wine and stir to deglaze the pan. Bring to a simmer and bubble for 1 minute. Add the stock - enough to almost cover the sausages.
Cover and put in the oven for 25-30 mins minimum.

I served this with rice and some peas. I usually stir through some creme fraiche at the end but forgot even though I'd picked it up in M&S!!!! Still, we're enjoying it now, served with our naughty chocolate puddings now the children are sleeping....

No comments: